Friday, April 1, 2011

Frank McAuliffe



Name: Frank McAuliffe AKA Kiki St John
Age: 32 2/3
Location: Toronto
Craft: Interiors and Exteriors (Blackrock Works)

Tell us about Blackrock.
It's a full service design build firm with a focus on the raw beauty and natural splendor of all materials in all functions.

Where did you grow up?
Downtown Toronto. Cabbagetown, specifically.

Where do you go for inspiration?
Out the window of my car and I Google. Lots and lots of Google.

What are your 3 favourite spots in the city?
I really like the Habitat for Humanity Restore. There is this place by the water where the city dumps the trees it cuts down. A butcher at Islington and Albion called Potenza where if you don't speak Italian, you are treated like an immigrant (I don't speak Italian).

Are the best things in life for free?
The best of the free shit, I guess.

What is your favourite material to work with?
Wood of any kind except ipe.



What are the basic tools you would recommend for craftspeople that are just starting out?
Pen and paper.

What is your dream project?
I think today, with the sun shining and the birds singing, my dream job would be to build a rockery in Central Park or maybe build a garden around the base of the CN Tower. I love the CN tower. I hope they never change the name to something like the Quizno Tower or the Wild Wing Ding. Even if they did, I would still like it more than that thing they built in Kuala Lumpur.

Do you have any hidden talents?
In my line of work, you better bring your talents right off the bat.

What is on important life lesson?
Boys are garbage.

Tell us a story.
A number of years ago, I heard about a guy that was rebuilding a barn in Normandy. In order to secure the contract, I started a somewhat monogamous relationship with his daughter. As the project was nearing the end of the second of four phases, there was a halt to the work due to funding constraints. I broke it off with the girl and, of course, came home. We lost touch after that. She did email me and asked if I knew what the significance of May 5th was to her, and I explained that I am not Mexican, and don't think about what she thinks about. I've been thinking about that lately.

www.blackrockworks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment